Friday, October 24, 2008

Go Vote!


No, I'm not going to tell you who to vote for. But I think it is important to vote. I voted yesterday! It is like my very own little piece of history. I can still remember exactly what I was doing, and who I went with the past 3 times I have voted for a president. They say this election is important, and that is true-but every election is important. This is a voice, but not just any voice your voice. Take advantage of it. I may be singing to the quire but it is true. It is a feeling that only you can give yourself, when you vote, and it is an amazing feeling! I think it would be super exciting to go and vote on election day, and I would love to go and vote on election day to get that energy that I'm sure is like nothing else. But I don't want the craziness of voting on election day. And I like to think I got some of that energy when I voted yesterday. I have never actually voted on election day. Here are my voting stories:

2000-I went with my friend Kristin. It was our first time ever voting in a presidential election. We went to an early voting place in Albuquerque, that they had on the corner of Central and Tramway. I remember it being hot. I suppose Albuquerque can be hot in October, but it was unseasonably hot. I also remember my Dad telling me to vote, that it was going to be a close race. I was working at Victoria's Secret Catalogue at the time, and I remember working on election day, and watching the updates on the news that night(I worked until 1 in the morning) and them still not knowing who the next president would be. I was so frustrated. But now I understand that it does take some time for the votes to be counted etc....


2004-I remember going to registrar to vote in the state of Colorado with Aaron. We went to the local DMV to fill out our cards. For this election I got a mail in ballot, and dropped it of on the last day that I could! I remember I was nervous, and feeling stupid for putting it off until the last day. Afraid that my vote wouldn't count. But I dropped it of in time. I remember Aaron went and voted on election day, and him telling me he had to stay in really long lines.


2008-I voted early, yesterday afternoon after I got off of work. I asked if they had been busy, and they said not really. I think a lot of people don't realize how close this is coming! It IS happening. I got an "I Voted" sticker, and put in on my purse, it has already fallen off, which makes me sad.


What are your voting stories?

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I voted YESTERDAY too! Maybe we did it at the same time. What time did you do it at?

April said...

Umm I voted around 4:30pm MST. You?

Emily said...

I honestly don't remember my voting stories. I figure I'll go on election day while Isaac is at preschool.

Nikki said...

Mine would have been at 1:30 MST in that case...that would have been really cool if we voted at the same time. Maybe we'll have to coordinate it next time ;).

Rachel said...

For the 2000 election, I was still a New Mexico resident living in Virginia, so I planned on voting absentee until the UPS man didn't deliver my paperwork on time.

For 2004, Andy, Aubrey and I stood in line for ~2 hours in the garage of the fire station so that Andy and I could each cancel out the other's vote.

I like voting on election day, so I don't have my 2008 story yet. :-) My covert plan is to keep Andy away from the polls but make sure I get there, so we don't cancel eachother out again. Shhhh, don't tell Andy. ;-)

Emily said...

my husband and i cancel each other out too. boring. i remembered one though, for 2000 i was in college and my mom didn't send my absentee ballot in time so i didn't get to vote that year, and that was the election where new mexico actually mattered. ah well, i would've voted for bush, and he won anyway.

hillary clinton was in utah campaigning for obama this week and she said "the reality is, mccain is going to win in utah. but obama's going to win the white house." i think she's right. well, i KNOW she's right about utah at least. a democrat has never carried utah. ever.